1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I baked biscuits from scratch. I can’t say they were terribly tasty. I need to work on my technique. Plus, The Who thinks they should have had frosting in them.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did keep some of them, yes. Mostly they were about shifts in the way I think and behave. I will make some for next year because I think always striving for something helps me keep my focus on living the best life I can live.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! S* and G* finally have their long-desired baby girl! And S* and J* had sweet baby Z*!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, because I am a lucky SOB. There was a lot of death and loss this year, it seems, but our family was spared.
5. What trips did you take?
A visit up to Boston in June, our annual Provincetown pilgrimage in August, and we’re about to end the year in Florida.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A little more self-acceptance, a little more patience, and a lot more money.
7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
10/31/12, the day that The Who fell and had to be rushed to the ER via ambulance for stitches in his sweet little face.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Keeping my kid alive and happy. Anyone who has parented knows that this is no small feat.
9. What was your biggest failure?
My biggest failures always seem to be professional. I don’t think I am living up to my professional potential and my failure lies in not making sure that I do.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got me a bad cold right now, yo. But other than that, no, which makes me a very lucky lady.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets to Florida. Mama needs her some mid-winter sunshine.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The Who was a-mazing during the whole face-stitches ordeal. And so was m*. She totally could have blamed me or made me feel like crap for the fact that the worst injury of his little life happened on my watch, but she didn’t. She comforted me and understood me instead. Also, that awesome medic who stopped and helped us until the ambulance arrived. She totally saved the day.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I have a couple of “friends” who really surprised me and appalled me with their political/social views. That was a bummer.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food, in all its varied incarnations. Groceries, dinners and lunches out, snacks, comfort.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
This could be any number of songs from The Wizard of Oz or Mary Poppins because The Who sings them incessantly. Perhaps my favorite misheard lyric of 2012 is, “Cast up the shuffles of estoy bien.” (“Cast off the shackles of yesterday.”)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier overall, I think
ii. thinner or fatter? Same
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Seeing more live music and/or live theatre. This is something I hope to get back to once The Who is a little older. I am really looking forward to taking him to NYC to see a Broadway show. Maybe when he is 6.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wasting time. I am the greatest time-waster that ever there was. Witness: this meme when I should be painting shirts, building online classes, laundry, packing, cooking, etc. etc. etc.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We’ll be having dinner with my brothers-in-law poolside!
22. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Not with anyone new. Though I love me some m* all the time.
23. How many one-night stands?
Ha. Haha. Hahahahahaha.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
I can’t choose just one. Homeland, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, American Idol, Top Chef, Project Runway, Parenthood, Abby’s Ultimate Dance Competition (don’t you dare judge me!), Dance Moms (ditto), Here Comes Honey Boo-Boo (and again), and Shameless.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t hate anyone. But I did lose respect for a few people.
26. What was the best book you read?
I didn’t read shit this year. Well, no adult lit anyway. The best kid’s book I read was And Then It’s Spring.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Instrumental Klezmer on Pandora.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Mary Poppins, which I am well aware is not a “film of this year” but I re-discovered it this year and I pretty much never get tired of it. (And good thing because we watch it constantly.)
31. What did you do on your birthday?
I don’t remember specifically, actually, but I do remember that it was a great day.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A bigger paycheck.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I don’t really have a “fashion concept” but my best fashion discovery of the year was leggings! Leggings FTW! Leggings made it possible for me to dress appropriately to teach in the cold weather and not be miserably uncomfortable all day. Thanks to L* for the spot-on recommendation for me to “get some nice, roomy leggings.”
34. What kept you sane?
Therapy. Love me some therapy.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I really enjoy Mandy Patinkin. All soft and fuzzy and protective as he is in Homeland. So earnest and thoughtful. And I bet he has very soft lips, too.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Easily, the presidential election.
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
M* and her littles: e and s.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
I learn this lesson again and again and again: always be as real as you can be and you will get realness in return.
40. A song lyric that sums up your year.
“Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, in the most delightful way.”