- While cooking grilled cheese with me: “When I grow up, I wanna be a Boy-Cooking-Grilled-Cheese Man.”
- In his crib when M* went up to get a toy out of his crib: “I’m hot. Did you come up here to get all the hot out of me?”
- While eating ice cream:
The Who: Ice cream, YUM!
Mama: Oh, hey, tomorrow is Flag Day!
The Who: Flag Day-YUM!
- Playing trains: “This train and this train and this train are sad about the track is nervous.”
- While driving his ride-on truck from the living room to the kitchen and back: “Mama, I missed you. Did you miss me when I was putting my truck in the car wash? I’m going do the car wash one more time, then come back and love you.”
- In the car at the end of a. 9-hr drive: “No, Mama. We are just going home. We don’t have to worry about whistling. When your boy tells you to whistle, you have to whistle. And when a grown-up tells me to don’t whistle, I don’t have to whistle.”
- After being asked by M* if he wanted to say good morning to me: “Um, I don’t need to. I wanna say hi to Mama in another day.”
- An exchange:
Am I little?
Ummm, yeah you’re little.
Am I a big boy?
Well, yes. You’re a bigger boy than when you were a baby.
Why I’m not a baby anymore?
Because you grew.
Why I grew?
Because you ate food and drank water and got lots of rest and that’s what bodies do when you eat and drink and sleep. They grow.
And my nipples growed!
- Across the house in the living room, singing. Stops singing and says (presumably to one of the cats): “No I sitting right here! I sitting here and you go over there. Your place is in the litter box!”
- Eating breakfast, discussing how hungry we were: “I’m hungry for my Mommy to wake up.”
- While I was kissing his cheek: “I don’t have time for that, Mama.”
- And, finally: